Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Proud mama

So at the end of the school day, I am going to try to be a "good mama" and walk to the park to meet said son #2 to walk home from school with him. We have cleaned house all morning, and I have had a headache all morning. I start out the door with the overloaded stroller that is a pain to push thinking "It is only 2 miles round trip". When I make it less than a block, I realize that there is so much gunk blowing in the air that I will probably be sick for the next month for this little trip. When I arrive at the park, said son #3 does not disappoint and promptly finds some kiddos that are brats to hang out with (all of whom are like 3 years younger than him). I hear them calling him gay when he is turned the other way, and he is oblivious as always. At this point I do hear one of the kids (who spends the majority of the time sitting on a bench by himself) say that if they mean gay happy then they could be right. As I watch the girls play and try to be attentive to what is going on with the other kids also they decide that they should play a game of tag. Now, I bet no one will guess who is it. It was one of those games of tag that is impossible to get anyone since every object you touch is base. There were more bases than I have ever seen before, even in a game of Andrewball...
I wasn't paying attention for a few moments as was contemplating how long to let this continue, and when I was going to feel well enough to say it was time to go. The next thing I knew I look up and notice that son #3 is beaming because son #2 has decided to play tag with the group and somehow son #3 has tagged #2 and he is chasing all of these kids. I felt so proud for just that moment. Knowing that there is no way that this could just be coincidence and that sometimes there is justice in the world. I would never expect to hear my son say that he did this for any reason other than he just decided that he wanted to play, but I just hope that he knows how proud I am of him at times.

No comments: